Youth IGF Nepal along with Forum for Digital Equality and Internet Governance Institute hosted a one day Workshop on “Online Child Safety For School Teachers and Parents” on November 18, 2021, in Kathmandu, Nepal. The purpose of this workshop was to hold an interactive Discussion where school teachers, parents, law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders could discuss how to make the internet a safer environment for children and to provide information about safe Internet behavior to caregivers so that they may better support children in cyberspace, as well as to children so that they can be more empowered and resilient. Participants have Discussed the long-term awareness initiatives about potential internet threats among children, parents, teachers, and IT centers.
The aim and Objectives of the Workshop Programme:
The major objective of this workshop is to have a deliberate discussion on the safe use of the Internet and apply them in teaching practices. Following issues will be discussed during the workshop:
- To understand the objectives and dynamics of the use of the Internet by Kids;
- To understand the risks kids, face while using the Internet/Identify the online abuse to kids;
- To learn the techno psychological solution to address the effect of the use of the technology by kids;
- To understand how to make schools safer places for children to go online.
In order to achieve the objectives of this workshop, the following activities have been conducted.
- Presentation from the Experts on different themes related to online child safety.
- Discussion among the participants to uncover the systematic teaching to parents and teachers on how to use parental control systems on their smartphones and computers in a simple and easy-to-understand manner.
- Discussion to formulate a policy for the safer internet use by children for their protection from possible online abuse in coordination with concerned ministries, civil societies, and development partners;
- Collection and Compilation of feedback, presentations, suggestions from the participants.
The team agreed on a draft agenda prior to the training workshop, which was approved by the participants, as follows
- Opening Ceremony and Introduction
- Concept on Online Child Abuse Trends in Nepal
- Kid’s Exposure to the Technology and its Effects on their Development
- Safe Use of Social Media and Major Platforms: Practical Tips
- Approaches to be taken by the Teachers/Schools to protect Child Abuse Online: A Policy Discussion